Getting Started

Getting Started
Posted by on Feb 27, 2015

Getting into shape is serious business. It takes determination and commitment to see results. The journey will be long but worth taking. I decided to turn over a new leaf a couple of years ago and I am happy to see that all my effort has paid off. I would like to share some tips I have learned to those of you who want to have a healthier life.
Tip 1: Setting goals
The first thing to do is to set goals for yourself. Keep these goals realistic. Write it down on a piece of paper and stick it to your wall or in a place where you can always see it. This way you will be reminded and not lose focus.
Tip 2: Plan
Now that you’ve got your goals in check, it is time to plan on how to achieve it. Choose an activity that would make exercising enjoyable for you. Some people would enroll themselves at the gym, others would engage in a sport. There are a lot of options to choose from. You can join classes such as yoga, zumba or boxing. It is all up to you. Schedule your workout sessions and make it a part of your routine. Exercising 3-5 times a week for an hour is good enough.
Tip 3: Consult your Doctor
Before engaging in any form of exercise, it is best to consult your Physician for approval. This is to prevent any untoward incident from happening.
Tip 4: Proper sports attire
Make sure to invest on some comfortable sportswear and a good pair of running/training shoes if necessary.
Tip 5: When you feel like making excuses to skip.
You can probably come up with a thousand and one excuses why you should not but think of the reasons why you should. Sometimes you convince yourself you don’t really need to work out today but you actually do. Here is a list of possible excuses and rebuttals for said excuses.
“ I don’t have time, I am very busy with …”
An hour is just 4% of a single day. You got the remaining 96% for everything else.
Use the 4% to invest in yourself.
“I don’t want to enroll at the _______. People might judge me”
A few friends told me that the reason they felt hesitant to enroll at the gym is because they are quite self conscious and are afraid of what other people think. Don’t mind them. You don’t need their approval. Surround yourself with people who can motivate you
“I don’t have money”
You don’t need a lot of money to be healthy. There are a lot of exercises you can do right at home. Sorry, the penniless excuse is not applicable this time around.
“I can’t do it”
Yes you can. As long as you are alive you still have a chance. Take it.
Tip 6: Keep track
Document your progress as you go along. Take photos, record your weight, body mass index and body fat. You can do this once a month so that you will be able to determine if you need to modify your regimen.
Tip 7: Eat right
As bad as it sounds, It is actually not. Eating clean is pretty okay. Think of it as making wise decisions about the food you eat. Snacking on wheat bread and peanut butter is different from snacking on a slice of pizza even if they possess the same amount of calories. The amount of calories might be the same but the nutritional value is miles apart. Add more fruits and vegetables to your diet. Drink more water and avoid highly processed food.
Tip 8: It is okay to have a cheat day.
Most people cannot abide the thought of never snacking on a decadent slice of chocolate cake. (I know I can’t) So it is best to have a cheat day once a week. On your cheat day you can splurge and have a fiesta. Eat whatever you want and don’t feel bad about it.
Tip 9: Exercise when you feel down.
Exercising is a form of stress release. When you exercise your body releases endorphins, the hormone responsible for happiness. So when you feel down in the dumps don’t marinate your liver in alcohol, get up and exercise to improve your mood.
So those are my tips on how to get back in shape. I hope you found them helpful and feel free to write a comment below .
grass

Post a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>